Contents today: Basic income, gender pay gap,prison system,capitalist CEO jerkfaces, domestic violence & bad relationships, the rent is too damn high
- Study Shows That Pay Drops Universally in Male-Dominated Fields When Women Join En Masse -relevant to my family, my twin daughters are both in college majoring in male dominated fields. So it’s been a concern (of mine…not theirs) that breaking into these fields is going to be difficult (although one of my daughters is doing a double major in education so she’ll have the option to be a teacher anyway) and of course, wage gap in these male dominated fields is an issue but now you’re going to tell me even if the field opens up and more women are employed there, the pay will drop anyway? Excellent.
- Formerly Incarcerated Moms Fight for Reforms to Save Families – There are 4 policies that need to be fought for to help families w/ formerly incarcerated parents, especially mothers. 2/3 of women in prison have children under 18 and even a short sentence can have long term effects that impact their children into adulthood.
- Why dental care should be included in the public health system – As I’ve mentioned before when talking about my own dental issues , I will never understand why dental care is not considered part of primary healthcare. It makes no damn sense.
- Stephen Hawking Says We Should Really Be Scared Of Capitalism, Not Robots – He said this back in October but I’m still catching up after my technological deficit. What he’s saying is basically one of my main arguments of why we need basic income. As services and production becomes more automated, unemployment will increase and there needs to be a system to meet the basic needs of everyone. Machine owners who make a lot of money from their automation should be taxed heavily to contribute to this economic system. Which brings us to #4….
- This Fast Food CEO Wants to Replace Workers With Robots – The CEO of Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr (wait…is it really Carl’s Jr and not Carl Jr’s? ) LOVES capitalism so much he should marry it. Really, I read some of his writings and speeches. It’s fascinating. Anyway, he’s mad about minimum wage increases so the way he’ll fix it is to just fire everyone and automate everything.
- Automation may mean a post-work society but we shouldn’t be afraid– like I said
- As Rental Prices Rise, Women Stay In Bad Relationships to Survive | Broadly – not surprising to anyone familiar with how strongly domestic violence and poverty are tied together.
- Poor offenders pay high price when probation turns into profit–
- Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit– Yes,for the love of Taxmas
- The Eviction Economy– I actually have too much to say about this that I can’t figure out where to start. It’s too familiar. Housing is always unstable for me.
- “Signs the economy is bad, March 18, 2016 edition”– all the links I missed
If you like the work I do here at Poor as Folk, please consider being a supporter at Patreon! Your support will keep content on the blog free and available to all on the internet as well as help me develop printed publications. Donate here: Poor as Folk on Patreon or one time donation via Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org